Monday, August 2, 2010

Perfect Love

Fear.

Fear is a strong word. I don't use it for the dislike I have for earwigs, the nervous feeling I get when I have to speak in public, or how much I hate going to the dentist. Those are all dislikes.. Things I can get over with enough ice cream and caffeine ;-).
Fear is deeper then that. It gnaws at your mind and fills everything that you do. It whispers in your ear at night, keeping you awake. It brings paralyzing dreams. To put it plainly, it sucks.
I don't think there is anyone who hasn't at one time, struggled with fear. It could be losing someone, it could be someone getting sick, or failing a test. Whatever it is, it isn't healthy. It also isn't necessary.
I've been memorizing some passages from scripture lately; I came across them about three months ago and decided I really liked the way that they constantly highlight God's love. A section of those verses...

By this, love is perfected with us,
that we may have confidence in the day of judgment;
because as He is, so also are we in this world.
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear;
because fear involves punishment,
and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
(1 John 4:17-18)

Once again, God was preparing me ahead of time with something I would need now. When that feeling of fear came up and started to work it's way into my head, I had these verses in my head. The rest of this passage talks about how God and the gift of His Son is the example of perfect love, and the only reason we love, is because He first loved us. It also says that...

If we love one another,
God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
(1 John 4:12)

So I ask... If love is perfected in us, then how can we fear? I mean really fear? Fear is something that the devil uses to terrorize our mind, trying to keep us from God. If we let it, it will drive us crazy. No doubt. So, when I get fearful, I pray. The other day, I wrote out a list of what God has done recently to show me His love.. I listen to worship songs. Anything to remind me of how much He loves me. The true amount of His love is unfathomable. We will never, ever be able to comprehend how much He truly loves us. The way He orchestrates things around us, making them work. The way He paves a way for us. The way He cradles us in His hand when life gets scary... I serve a Mighty God.

He is jealous for me,
Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

1 comment:

  1. God tells us over and over again "Do not fear." When we choose to, on purpose, to entertain thoughts and fears, we miss God's peace and grace. Big time.
    This old hymn says what my heart needs to hear..

    O what peace we often forfeit,
    O what needless pain we bear..
    All because we do not carry--
    everything to God in prayer...

    I am thanking God for you, for the work He is doing in and for you my daughter dear...
    Keep running to Him.

    He is faithful,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete