Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Otherside

Two years ago... Day two of the Big Ticket Festival.. The leader of the group I was with needed to talk with me.. As we walked towards the front gate, I had no idea what was going on.

Then I saw Mom and one of her best friends, walking towards me. My first reaction was one of excitement... Until I realized that they both had red eyes..

I got to Mom and she clung to me.

"Hannie... Uncle Steve is dead."

There, under the gate of the fairground, we cried together. We clung to each other. She held me, and I held her.

It was decided that I would stay and try to finish out the weekend.. It wasn't easy. My heart was raw. I broke down sobbing under the stars during the Third Day concert when they sang "Otherside." I clung to my friends, and functioned off of their support.

I stood in the back of the Thousand Foot Krutch concert andcried when their opening song was Rawkfist.. The last time I had seen my Uncle we had traded ring tones, because he had Rawkfist, which is one of my all-time favorite TFK songs. Apparently it was his, too. I had plans to get him their newest CD and have it personally autographed for him, which is what I was headed to do right before Mom came.

That Monday, rather then shipping him a cd along with some cookies I was going to make him, I touched his cold hand while he lay in the casket on a blistering hot day. I listened to my Aunt whisper in my ear that we were strong and would make it through. I watched my cousins place their football jersey's in his casket with him. I hugged them all.

My Uncle was a strong man and I loved him dearly. He was a fighter and he was immovable. Quiet, with a quick sense of humor. Stern, with loving eyes. He would always, ALWAYS tell me that he loved me, and squeeze me tight every time I saw him.

I miss him. Some days it hurts. But I have the comfort of knowing that he is Home. He is where he wanted to be.
For him, 'to live was Christ and to die was gain.' He definitely lived Christ his last years on earth. He loved his wife and children. He loved his sister, Mom, nephews, and nieces. He loved his football players. He lived Christ. And when he died, he gained more than we can ever hope to here on earth. Because of that, I know he has won. It was not a battle lost, but a battle where he impacted more people then most of us ever do. A battle where he returned home, victorious, and heard his Father say "well done, my good and faithful servant."


I’ve been sitting here for way too long
It’s time that I was moving on
I know that there’s a better way
I think I’m going to make a change
So come along now to where I’m going
Take me to the other side
‘Cause I need something better
Take me to the other side
‘Cause I want to live forever
One thing that’s for sure I know
This won’t be an easy road
Let me ask before I leave
Won’t you come along with me
So come along now to where I’m going
Come along now to where I’m going
Take me to the other side
Take me to the other side
Take me to the other side
‘Cause I want to live forever
Live forever
Take me to the other side

3 comments:

  1. This was beautiful Hannah, it brought tears to my eyes. I remember when your uncle died, but I didn't realize it was around this time of year. Praying for you as you remember him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannie girl...thank you for telling everyone who reads this blog that there is HOPE in His name and through pain--it tenderizes my heart to read of how your uncle's departure touched your life..
    never forget how much he loved you Hannah and most importantly, live for Christ in all you say and do.

    Love you darling girl of mine,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that it took me so long to comment. I meant to do that sooner...

    First off let me say that I am indeed sorry for your loss. I know it comes a couple years too late but it does need to be said.

    Second of all I just want to say that you and your family do amaze me. You all have gone through some terrible ordeals and still remain steadfast in your faith and strong supporters of one another. In my family I have not been as lucky. You all are truly an inspiration and, though I never knew him, I know that your Uncle would be very proud of you for everything you have accomplished!

    You all are in my prayers as the anniversary passes. From my experience you will have points in your life where you will miss him so bad that your heart feels like its about to explode. But, as I know you know, confiding in Him does help considerably...as does sharing stories about him with those who knew him and even those that did not.

    If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm always willing to listen no matter what.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete