Thursday, July 5, 2012

On My Side

Somedays it seems you are better off going back to bed before you even get out from under the covers.. Today was one of those days; after tossing and turning and thus not sleeping at all last night as well as not feeling well, the last thing I wanted to do was get up. Up I got though, throwing on clean shorts and a tshirt and rushing to spend the morning watching some of my most-favorite little people, giggling and playing with PlayDoh (seriously, who knew a 3 year old could actually sit still for 2 hours?!)

Once home I promptly stretched out and slept for almost an hour and a half, waking up to a letter from my sweet Cali-friend. There are few things better than a letter from one of your most special friends, especially when it contains the pure wisdom of scripture.. She wrote encouragement from 1 Corinthians and Psalms, reminding me that His ways are perfect, He is good, and that when I am weak I am truly strong in Him.. It was exactly what I needed to hear, today. Even though it was postmarked the 2nd. He knew I needed it *today.*

Flip forward through roughly two hours of studying, and I pick up "Come Thirsty" by Max Lucado. This is the first book by Max that I've really ever read.. And I've been working on it for close to a month. I wasn't reading it as fast as I'd hoped and have tried to read a chapter a day.. However, today the chapter discussed the power we have in the Holy Spirit. How He intercedes for us to the Father when we are broken beyond words. It told the story of a young girl, Hannah (no joke), who was bullied mercilessly. When she was threatened by the bully, she replied with simple, pure faith...

"The older student warned Hannah to prepare for battle. 'Any day now I'm coming after you.' Hannah didn't flinch or cry. She simply informed the perpetrator about the facts. 'Do whatever you need to do,' she explained. 'But just know this: God is on my side.'"

The faith of a ten-year old. It worked; she wasn't bullied again. Apparently even middle schoolers understand the power of our Lord.

It doesn't matter what we face, He is always on our side. He is always standing in front of us anticipating the attacks from the bully. Whether a coworker, friend, sickness, or death. Whatever the enemy throws at us, we have the stronger fight because of Him. The best part about this chapter was the encouragement that we don't always have to know what to say to Him. Romans 8:26-27 talks about how the Holy Spirit intercedes for us. He is there not only to guide us, but also to go to the throne for us. To explain when we can't even comprehend what is going on. I am reading the book slow, yes, but He knew that I needed this today. Not two weeks ago, or even yesterday.

Two messages in the same day. A day I would've rather passed by. Instead, He used a letter and a book to speak to my heart and remind me that I am not the strong one - but He is. To comfort me in the knowledge that I don't always have the words to say to Him, but the Holy Spirit does. And to most of all help me to remember that He is good, perfect, and pure; and He is on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment