Saturday, July 3, 2010

Trust (and Obey)


Trust. Five little letters with a great big concept. The dictionary defines trust as an “assured reliance in the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something.” The concept of trust is not easily grasped in our day and age, yet most people I know list it as a necessary requirement in a relationship... Especially a romantic relationship. If you were to ask someone what trust was, they would probably say something along the lines of knowing that the one they were trusting would do what they said they would do, or follow through on their promises.

Even deeper then the trust we have in each other is the trust that as a Christian, I have in Jesus Christ. To follow the earlier definition.. The assured reliance that He is who He says He is, He can do what He says He can do, and above all, He is Truth. If anything in the Christian walk is difficult (for me), it is the trust issue. Trusting that He really, truly is all that He says He is and can do what He says He can do. If I don't trust Him, I can't believe what He says.

Trusting Him includes everything. Not just praying when times are hard and I don't know what to do... In a normal day I go to Him with everything from a test I'm about to take in school, to praying for someone who is sick, to praying that I would have patience and not rip someone's head off. As I pursue which college to go to next, or if I should go at all, I talk to Him. It's a daily conversation where I rarely say “amen” and can sometimes be seen talking aloud to Him, especially when I'm in my car!

In a relationship, time usually equals trust. The more time you spend with someone, the more trust you have in them. I trust my parents and older brother with pretty much everything. And no, I'm not just saying that. The time they have invested in me and the things they have done to show me they care have built my trust for them (It doesn't have to be something big, today it was Mom bringing home some animal crackers and frosting from town. She knows I love them, and took the time to grab them for me =D). It's the same way with my relationship with God. The more time I spend with Him, the easier it has become for me to trust Him. The more time I spend in His word reading what He has to say and talking with Him, the more I fall in love with Him and build my trust in Him, and the more time I want to spend with Him.

In my experience (because I have oh-so-much of it at the age of 18 ;-)), trust isn't built over night. I grew up with my parents and brother, and my trust grew in them as I grew from the curly-headed energy ball to the slightly older, curly-headed, energy ball I am now. When I got serious about spending time with God, my trust started to grow in Him as well.

Trusting isn't always easy though. Rather, it rarely can be considered 'easy'. I'm human (shocker, right?). I definitely make my share of mistakes like everyone else. I can be stubborn (ask my family!!) and like to have my own way. That's where trust comes into play the most. I have plans and ideals for my life, but He has a greater plan than I can imagine. It's a daily choice to trust Him. To surrender to Him what I struggle with.

Trust.. It's not easy, but it is worth it!

We used to sing a song as a family, and as I was typing this out it kept getting stuck in my head. When I was little, it was just something to sing.. But now I can see what a strong meaning there is behind it.

When we walk with the Lord 

In the light of His word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will,
He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way,
to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

"Trust in Him at all times, O People; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." Psalms 62:8

4 comments:

  1. havent read it yet, but... first!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, real comment... wow, that was really great. i have a feeling my heart is going to enjoy reading the rest of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats really good hannah. i really enjoyed reading that

    ReplyDelete
  4. As your mother, I need to trust God when I see the first 3 comments written by the opposite sex!!
    LOL

    I think we need to pull that dusty ole hymn off the bookshelf and sing it more Hannie..
    I used to sing that to you when you were a babe. I'm thrilled to see the depth of it's promises wiggled it's way into your heart..
    Trusting is deepened by our ability to recognize God's faithfulness and provision in our lives. You are right, it is a choice and one we need to make every minute of every day.
    Love you daughter dear.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete