Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine-less?

Roses, chocolate, mushy cards, kisses, hugs, hearts, pink, red... Every February 14th it rolls around once again. And those of us without a significant other usually end up down in the dumps, depressed and/or sickened by the displays of love around us.

I have to admit it surprises me every year how many people I know (specifically the girls) want to skip over tomorrow as if it never existed. Simply because they don't have a guy, and label themselves as 'single'. A couple years ago, I was in the same crowd. I was more focused on myself than being happy for those who are in (hopefully) healthy, strong, and Godly relationships (I'm ignoring the fast-track shallow relationships for now). I was more focused on my immediate wants then what God had in mind for my love life (or lack thereof). I think it's pretty safe to say that every girl goes through that stage. Some stay stuck in it, and some recognize they are being selfish.

Thankfully, He showed me I was being a selfish brat. Not only towards those around me who were happy, but also towards the man He has for me.

"The heart of her husband trusts in her,
And he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil,
All the days of her life."
(Proverbs 31:11-12)

Notice that it doesn't say "All the days after they meet" or "All the days after she says 'I do'." It's all the days of her (my) life. This verse completely rearranged my mindset... Being single isn't a time to goof off and mess around. It's a time to earn his trust, to grow spiritually, to love him, to be faithful to him, and mature to be a woman worthy of being his wife.

That's why I don't dread Valentines day anymore. Honestly, it's exciting! I have seen the way God has woven together the love stories of the people around me, and it excites me. It makes me eager to see what He has in plan for me. The day has become a reminder to pray for the man He has for me, and motivation to continue to trust in God's timing. Yes, some days it is hard. But the good days outweigh the hard days.

So yes, by the worlds standards, I will spend this February 14th "Valentine-less." But I really won't.. =) I have a Dad who loves me and cares for me and an amazing God who has my heart in His hands. And for this Valentine's day at least, that is the way it is supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment