Saturday, February 26, 2011

iBible?

My life the past 10 days has been overcome with Vicodin, sleep, Go-Gurt, pudding, and ice cream. All benefits of having 4 impacted wisdom teeth carved out of my head. The benefit to that time was that I was too out of it to do much studying, and I had scrambled to accomplish most of what was due the next week before the surgery. That left me with all weekend, my notebook, and my Bible.

I love my Bible, and I'm not saying that lightly. I have had it for almost exactly a year, when my parents gave it to me on my 18th birthday. (I kept taking Dad's because I liked the version better than what I had, and the cross-reference numbers are great!!)

I am not one of those people who uses my iPhone as my Bible. Sure, I'll do it in a pinch, but it bugs me to see people doing it in Church, or when I hear of them doing all of their quiet times and devotions off their mechanical device... There is something about having the burgundy, leather-bound, gold-plated book in my hands. It's heavy - it practically weighs as much as I do ;). It has a distinct smell. It's pages crinkle easy...

But it's mine. My Love Letter from my Savior. It is full of highlights, pencil markings, underlines, notes, and dates. In it is everything I could ever imagine about Him. When I read it, I am overwhelmed by His glory and power. I literally cannot fathom His might or His Love.

"The Lord is great, and greatly to be praised,
He is to be feared above all gods.
Splendor and Majesty are before Him,
Strength and beauty are in His sanctuary"
(Psalms 96:4,6)

It blows my mind that He put the Bible together so that we can spend time with Him, learning of His attributes, His personality, His anger, His might, His jealousy, and His overwhelming Love for us. We can seek His guidance, know His will, and learn what is expected of us as His children. In and of itself, the Bible is an example of His Love. If we take the time to read it, ponder it, and search it for what it holds, treating it like the treasure it is, we will not be disappointed.

Having the Bible on my phone is handy when I'm on lunch break and I want to review whatever I'm memorizing. But when I'm seriously spending time with Him, nothing beats having a tangible copy of His Love in my hands. This allows me to spend an unlimited amount of time with Him... without having to worry about running out of battery ;).

1 comment:

  1. In this techno world where people operate from one text to the next or "facebook" someone to tell them something--your take on reading the Word of God is right on Hannah girl!!!
    If you think about it, facebook is not about sitting, visiting with someone face to face. And it is not alive. It can't change your life or transform your mind!
    Only God's Word has that power. Heb
    I love you..
    You are a treasure to me!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete