Sunday, March 13, 2011

Life Worth Living

So many times over the past few months I have caught myself watching someone and wondering what makes them tick. I want to ask them why they get out of bed morning after morning, why they have any motivation to do anything, and what they think their purpose in life is. With the majority of these people, as I listen to them talk about how wasted they got, who they hooked up with, their last big project at work, or the game they just won, I become increasingly heartbroken for them.. Because really, they have no idea of how amazing their life could be.

For we are His workmanship,
Created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
Which God has before ordained,
That we should walk in them.
(Ephesians 2:10)

This is what they're missing. They're missing out on the idea that Christ created us for His good works. Good works that might not always take us where we want to go. Good works that might have us doing something we didn't think we'd ever do. Good works that might be difficult or uncomfortable. But they are His good works, and if we follow them then there will be a sense of purpose to our lives.

Honestly? I wonder how someone could live day-to-day living for themselves. There are so many people who don't believe in God, and even fewer who live like they are living for Him rather then themselves. What would the point be? Here's your life story:

You're born.. You become an adult.. You might get married.. You die. The end.

And while my life story isn't glamorous or incredible, I would hope that it reads something more like:

She was born.. She walked in His ways in all she did.. She saw His Face.

Do you see how that works? The only things in common there are that we were both born. In my story, I may or may not get married. I may or may not go to school. I may or may not be a highly successful business woman. But no matter what I do, I walk in the ways that He has set before me, trusting as He leads me through each new thing. To me, that is much more fulfilling then living for myself, filling my own physical pleasures. I can see why people are so depressed when they don't have this viewpoint on their lives. It would be downright depressing, because there would be no real purpose to anything that they did.

Thankfully, we have a purpose. We aren't here just to be a 'step above' the plants and animals. We are called to walk in His ways, glorifying and Loving Him so that those around us may see Him and glorify Him as well. And if we do that? We are going to get one heck of a reception when we get to meet Him; Face to face... =).


No comments:

Post a Comment