Saturday, March 17, 2012

Remember

How many things does it take in one week to bring you back down to earth? After being home for a week, I wasn't exactly in the "school" mood when I got back to school. After my car breaking on the drive back up, a first day back consisting of almost entirely lecture (one room, 8 hours. No thank you!), getting 4 ridiculously high medical bills, and then finding out my insurance thinks I have some mysterious pre-existing condition and won't pay anything until I prove I don't? It was quite the week. I was looking forward to a weekend of relaxing (as much as one can with a decent amount of homework)... I drove out to a local park this afternoon to study in the sun (80 degrees in the UP. In March!), and my car broke again. At that point my attitude was "Are you kidding me?!"

It's not a huge problem (I don't think), and I will be able to get it fixed (I think). As I was sitting in the park, I was struck with the realization of how beautiful this place is that I have been able to go to school. The canal is still frozen over, and I tormented the seagulls by throwing my apple core onto the ice, followed by my orange peels.. I did complete *some* studying, but I mostly sat there and thought about the last 8 months, and the next 4. About everything I have completed, and everything I have yet to complete. About how blessed I have been by my family and friends. About how well Mom prepared me to come here and learn. About my previous classes and how well they prepared me for what I am now facing. About how God has brought so many little things into my life this week that were encouragements to me.

As I sat there watching all the little kids running around with their parents, I remembered that *that* is my passion. Seeing the little girls in their skirts, leggings, baseball caps, and sunglasses (seriously, one of the cutest outfit combos I have seen), it was almost as if He was reminding me why He has me here. Not only here as in school, so I can learn to work with (pediatric) patients... But also here as in on this earth as a whole. A broken car, medical bill, or stubborn insurance company won't hinder the desires He has given me. A lousy attitude, however, could.

He is giving me opportunities to trust Him and surrender these little things to Him. He is giving me the chance to learn to take a deep breath and step back. To do everything that I can do with all that I have in me.

In Exodus, God led the Isrealites out of captivity, but while He did that, He greatly worked on Moses' character. When Moses found the burning bush, and then realized what it was that God wanted him to do, he went "uh, hey God? This is great and all... But I don't do this speaking thing so swell... How about you find someone else?" God basically gave him a reality check. "Hey Moses? Who do you think made you? That'd be Me. And I want you to do this."

Moses was almost as stubborn as Pharaoh was in regards to doing what it was that God wanted. He dragged his feet. He let the Israelites push Him back into a state of mistrust when their workload was doubled by Pharaoh, and he went back to God to question Him.

What I love about all of this? God knew Pharaoh wasn't going to let His people go right away. He knew that Pharaoh wouldn't permit them to go, "except under compulsion" (Exodus 3:19) and He told this to Moses. He also told Moses that He was going to "harden his (Pharaoh's) heart so that he will not let the people go." (Exodus 4:21).

Moses knew he had a hard road ahead of him from the very beginning. He knew it wasn't going to be an easy task, but he also knew that God would be with him (Exodus 3:12). God was testing and growing Moses, from the very beginning. Every time that God brought something new to Moses, it was an opportunity for Moses to remember Who God was. That He was the God who brought them out of Egypt. That He was a God who remembered and kept His covenants. It was a learning experience for Moses almost more than anyone else! God had to get Moses ready to be able to lead His people on their upcoming journey.. Which means Moses needed to trust Him based off of previous experiences and God's word.

He does the same with us. He allows us to go through certain things, and He even knows ahead of time that they will happen. Whether it is something catastrophic or minor, it is a chance for us to remember Who He is and all that He has done for us. It's a chance for us to remember that He remembers us, and will keep His covenants. We just need to trust, obey, and remember.

Oh give thanks to the Lord,
call upon His name;
Make known His deeds among the peoples.
Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
Speak of all His wonders.
Glory in His holy name;
Let the heart of those who seek the Lord be glad.
Seek the Lord and His strength;
Seek His face continually.
Remember His wonderful deeds which He has done,
His marvels and the judgments from His mouth,
O seed of Israel His servant,
Sons of Jacob, His chosen ones!
He is the Lord our God;
His judgments are in all the earth.
Remember His covenant forever,
The word which He commanded to a thousand generations,
The covenant which He made with Abraham,
And His oath to Isaac.
(1 Chronicles 16:8-15)

No comments:

Post a Comment