Saturday, April 2, 2011

Tangled


Summer is on it's way.. How do I know?
Easy, I went clothes shopping today. Every year it's the same challenge; find cute/sporty/feminine clothing that's not too tight, too high, too short, too low, or too transparent.
This year is no exception... I walked out of the mall with much less then normal, which is probably because I was looking specifically for dress clothes and a swimsuit.. Two of the hardest things to find this time of year.

Every year this frustrates and saddens me more than the previous year. Please don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't want to make the effort to do it, it's because it makes me sad that it is such a challenge to dress in a way that doesn't make my brothers in Christ want to go hide in a dark closet somewhere. I have purchased my share of things I shouldn't have, and I have taken things back many times after rethinking it when I got home. I see so many girls try to honor them, and honestly don't know of any that succeed every single day. It seems it's easy to let your guard down and slip up.. Which I know I've done myself.

Some days I feel like I am walking a tightrope and other days it's easy to feel cute while being modest.. I don't recommend shopping on those tightrope days, or shortly after purging your closet going "I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!" If you're anything like me, you end up with nothing but empty hands and the feeling of being beaten once again.

After a day of feeling defeated by the clearance racks and "50% off" signs, I got to thinking about why I do this. For the longest while it was because I wouldn't have been let out of the house alive dressed immodestly (Thank you, Dad! [and Mom, too]). Now though, it is because I have realized three things.

1. God looks at the heart, not how much skin I'm showing... I have a feeling the more skin I show, the more it hurts Him as He watches me dishonor the body He gave me.
2. I have two little sisters watching me. The example I set with how much I groan about shopping, making the effort to be modest, and how react to Mom and Dad's criticism/correction is being watched closely by them. They're bright girls and don't miss much.
3. There is a man somewhere who ultimately, I am doing this for. If I truly Love him "all the days of my life," I will make the effort to honor him now.

I saw Tangled this weekend for the first time, and not only is it absolutely hysterical and had us all in stitches, it's a super cute love story. I think one of the final lines sums my thoughts up nicely, and gives me the motivation I need to continue the challenge before me.. If we take up the challenge to serve our brothers, and honor our husbands and our Lord, then someday they will say of us:

"She was a princess worth waiting for."



4 comments:

  1. Hannah, I am so proud of you! I know it's hard to find things that are cute and modest at the same time. Maybe some of the resale shops in Traverse City. There are several, I think. We are getting ready to go to Disney again. An interesting example of choices! Love and miss you, Ama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Hannah girl...you are making choices now that reflect your obedience to the One Who made you. I'm very proud of you honey..purity is a heart issue, not a hemline one. Our hearts beliefs dictate choices we make--clothing, movies we allow our eyes to see, time we spend on the computer(facebook especially)books we read and all other types of endeavors in this life..
    Guard your heart dear one. For from it flows the springs of life..

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well put, dear Hannah!!! Wow....can I get your permission to read this to our youth group? It says so much of what young women need to hear. Thank you for sharing that. I learned a lot while in Israel about modesty and what you said about honoring our brothers in Christ. Love and miss you muchly!!!

    Mrs. Kristine:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Dohse, I would be honored if you did, I know you'll give the credit to the One who deserves it =).

    I love you too, and miss you a lot!

    ReplyDelete