Friday, October 14, 2011

$1.20

Being sick while 320 miles away from home is not a fun time.

I finally decided to go in this afternoon after not being able to breathe 1/4 of my way up the 4 flights of stairs to my classroom.. I came back up to my room (via elevator) and bundled up for the walk up to my car... Which includes another 4 flights of stairs. It is raining, pouring, and incredibly windy here, (to the point that some guys from the hockey team who originate from some foreign country decided to pull on the wet-suits and head for Lake Superior to go surfing. I'm still questioning their sanity.) as well as 44*. Fun conditions for a hike up to my car, when I already can't breathe normally.

Backing up a little bit.. I did not want to go in this afternoon, simply because I knew it wouldn't be cheap. Earlier this week I had thought about it, and once again, decided I should be able to kick this on my own, without the help of any Z-Pack related substance.

Mom called me yesterday to tell me that I had received a check in the mail from the place I worked all summer. Since I had no idea what it was, and was rather curious, I had her open it for me. $50.
Random, right? I thought so. Until she told me the memo line said "Raffle." A while back (in February, I think?), we were all given rotary club calendars at a company meeting. The receptionist took our numbers off the back and was going to watch the drawings for us. I had honestly completely forgotten all about it.

Apparently, I won.

$50.

Fast forward to this afternoon.. I finally decided that going in was worth it. I called around about my insurance and found the best (aka cheapest) place to go, and braved the monsoon to get there, which included getting slightly lost.
The NP that saw me actually knew of my hometown, and was super sweet. Though she succeeded in scaring me when she told me right off the bat that if my O2 levels were any lower than 90% I was going to be headed right to the ED. Thankfully I scored an almost perfect 99%... =P. She made the determination of bronchitis, gave me a prescription for a Z-Pack (shocker!), and the receptionist took my $30 and sent me on my way.

The clinic was actually located right there in a shopping center. I turned my prescription in and wandered around looking at random things until I ran out of breath, and then decided sitting sounded much better.
Total for 6 little pills to be taken over the next 5 days, that actually work for 10 days, according to the package?
$21.20. I've never had to pay for a prescription before and was a little sticker-shocked at this price.. but paid it and took the drugs.

Mental math that ensued after that: $30 + $21.20 = $51.20.

I think I can handle covering an extra $1.20 after God sent the other $50...

 Once again, He cares for His children and plans things out to bless us, so that when we receive the blessings we know that they came from only Him. He loves to bless His children. He loves it when we acknowledge Him. And I'm sure He was chuckling at the look on my face today when I realized those pills cost that much!


2 comments:

  1. Oh honey...why can't we trust Him more and more? Why do we continually live in this bubble of God's blessings=good, happy, well, etc. etc. ??
    Thank you for showing me that you ARE GETTING HOW TO WALK BY FAITH!
    I needed that tonight.
    Badly...
    I am sure proud of you. Thank you for growing in Him even 320 miles away from your nesting ground. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great Story!!!! It is simply a wild ride to let His blessings take us up and down the hills of life. I've got a little researching to do....320 miles/Lake Superior....are you in the U.P.? Miss ya, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete