Friday, May 20, 2011

Because.


One year ago this week (Tuesday), my knee looked like this.

Roughly 10 hours later I was back in my bed with my leg looking like this. Thankfully, I remember very little of the in-between (other than the nerve block [OW], waking up the first time, vomiting, and various random pieces from the ride home).

A couple days later I had the great revealing.
It actually didn't look half bad (all the bruising was on the back).

Two week check-up, I got to see what they had done.
That crack/lighter area from the top of the bone above the screws to a ways below them?
That's a purposeful break. And yes, it does hurt when they break your tibia. I promise.

I had done everything possible to avoid this surgery. Therapy, braces, more therapy, orthotics, not doing anything active, and more therapy. It's not a fun surgery and sometimes it doesn't work. But I was desperate to be able to sleep a night through without the aching or to be able to run without a dislocation..

I did it out of desperation.

God turned it into a blessing.

He took the therapy that I did and all the time I spent rehabbing. All the time I spent on crutches and in braces, and gave me a heart for people who are going through the same kind of thing. He took what I originally thought was horrible and awful, and turned it into a blessing.

Because of my knee, I have an understanding for those who are frustrated.
Because of my knee, I have a sympathy for those who are feeling defeated.
Because of my knee, I discovered my Love for people who are hurting.
Because of my knee, I discovered what God was trying to show me.

It was right in front of my face the whole time. I enjoyed going to PT. Weird, I know. But I was intrigued by watching the therapists and the athletic trainers work with their patients. The way they interacted. The knowledge they had. I never realized He was showing me something that would make such an impact in my life!

It did finally click. And I am on my way to PTA school in a matter of months... I love how He once again, took something that was such a pain at one time and turned it into something I am incredibly excited about. It just goes to show that He knows me better than I know myself!


1 comment:

  1. Oh Hannah...it is gut wrenching difficult to see your child aching, hurting, vomiting, shaking..
    yet to come to the other end and read your words..oh my...
    Do you see how God is shaping you dear one?
    You can share with others how God uses pain to bring hope, joy and peace!
    You are doing this beautifully and I am very, very pleased...

    Praises to the One Who made you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete