Saturday, May 14, 2011

One Bridge Crossed

The last two weeks have been a flurry of final activities; final projects, final papers, final quizzes, final exams, final classes, final study sessions, and final days of work.. All leading up to one final night at the college, complete with cap, gown, not one but two tassels, PTK stole, and a blingy medallion.

I have spent the majority of the last two years in the same six bui
ldings, with the same group of people. We have become friends, study buddies, and motivators. Most of my favorite memories of the last two years include something at the college. Whether it was studying in the library or out on the grass in the sunshine, trudging through the snow/rain/sleet, taking a break to walk the nature trail, working out in the gym, stocking
shelves, packing boxes, or just relaxing and talking.. I have made friends that are close to my heart.

Within the last week I have come to the realization that life is going to change in the next couple months. I like routine and having a set schedule through the week. I knew when I had to be where, and who I would see each day (to a point). To be honest, I took great security in that. As I said goodbye to my friends last night, I was struck with the desire to keep those friendships alive. This summer it will be easy, but this fall it will become more difficult.

The story of David and Jonathan emphasizes the importance of friendship.

The soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved hi
m as himself."
(1 Samuel 18:1)

"Then Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself."
(1 Samuel 18:3)

"Jonathan, Saul's son, greatly delighted in David."
(1Samuel 19:1)

The two of them have a sweet story. They were incredibly close and had a relationship that speaks of humility and selflessness. Yet, Saul was jealous and suspicious towards David and tried to kill him more than once. Because of this, David had to leave for his own safety.
Thankfully, none of my friend's fathers are trying to use me as a dart board. That would bite... Also, as far as I'm aware, my friends aren't going to be overtaken and killed by Philistines. Which would also bite.
What strikes me though, is their selflessness. They each strove to serve one another, no matter the consequences. Near or far, that is truly important to a successful relationship of any kind.
We are told to..

"And all of you, clothe [ourselves] with humility toward one another,
for God is opposed to the proud and gives grace to the humble (1 Peter 5:5)."

The more I read this verse, the more I am comforted about being away fro
m both my friends and family. If I am putting myself in a position where I am serving them and acting towards them in humility He will grant me grace.

In Bible Study this week we defined grace as "the strength to endure." Life isn't easy, but when we ask Him and trust that He will give us the strength that we need to endure the challenges set before us, He will. He will give me the grace to endure the new challenges. He will give me grace as I make new friends, acclimate myself to a new area, meet new professors, and adjust to communication via phone/text/FB/e-mail/letter with my family and friends... And His grace will be sufficient.








3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Hannah!!! You are going to do great at your new college! I know it's not easy moving away from friends and family, but let me tell you, facebook is priceless ; ) I've missed you! We need to get together and chat soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...how sweet! You put my crazy mug in your blog. lol

    Hannah, I've been so happy to get to know you for the past couple of years. You have always been so much fun to work with at the bookstore. I've watched you grow and learn and rejoice in the L-rd. You've always been curious about my faith, never judging me even if our beliefs never coincided. Seeing your deep devotion to G-d was one additional nudge for me to get closer to Him.

    You've been an inspiration and, though I know that we will see each a bit over the summer, I will miss you a lot come fall. We'll keep in touch through Facebook and, heck, if you want maybe even Skype. You are an amazing woman and you will do great at your new school! Your faith in the Father will do you well and He will never forsake you.

    Love you Miss Hannah and I will miss our sarcastic, wild bookstore days together! But you will do amazing things! I just know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. moments like your graduation are enduringly sweet as your teacher and your momma...
    I love you Hannah girl!

    ReplyDelete