Thursday, October 7, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Sometimes I feel SO blessed. I'm not saying I don't feel that way all the time, but some days it hits me more than others. Right now, I'm sitting outside looking at the gorgeous red and gold trees lining the bright blue sky... There's a breeze, but it's still warm enough that I'm sitting here in a T-shirt.That alone is a miracle in Northern Michigan!!
But seriously, I think we need to step back sometimes and realize how much we really have going for us. We get caught up in what isn't happening and don't see the little things that are happening. This tends to have a negative effect on our emotions and our attitudes.
I was remembering this morning while I was watching my little sisters do Bible with mom how ever so often during my home-schooled years, how mom would have us write out a list of things we were thankful for. This would happen especially when our attitudes were getting lousy. So I thought today, sitting here in the sun, I would do the same thing.. Kind of take a little trip back in time, if you will =).

  1. God. I have been BLOWN away by His nearness and His Love over the past few months. This summer was a major time of growth for me, and I have never Loved Him more. Just knowing that He has everything figured out for me is a huge load off my shoulders!! I love it because the more I get to know and Love Him, the more I can see of Him and the more that I can see there is to see of Him... It's unending!
  2. Family. My family is one-of-a-kind. We love each other, we challenge each other, and we make each other laugh. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
  3. Mom!! Obviously she's a part of the family, but I am so thankful for the way she prays for and with me, and the ways she shows her love to me. Just this morning I got up (and I've been feeling really lousy the last couple days) and she was just putting lemon poppyseed muffins into the oven. YUM. My favorite!! With October being "Breast Cancer Awareness" month, I am even more thankful that she is here to love on me and show me what it means to be a real woman of God.
  4. Dad!! He too, is part of the family. But I like to talk about him =). I feel so blessed to have a dad who is so actively involved in my life. He keeps track of what's going on with my school, he hugs me when I need it, and he knows how to make me laugh. Lately he's been a huge sounding-board for me. I go to him about EVERYTHING. There isn't much about me that he doesn't know. Whether I'm struggling with something or curious about something else, he usually knows about it.
  5. Friends... I love my friends =). I am so blessed to have some God-crazy friends in my life. I can talk to them about everything. They make me laugh. They encourage me. They pick on me. They love me. They challenge me. I am incredibly thankful that God has sent me friends in my life that are just as bent on following God as I am, because it helps keep me real and it keeps me from going absolutely insane from boredom!
  6. Bible Study. We just got a Bible Study going for College-aged people, and I'm LOVING the opportunities it's giving me to grow in my faith. Having people my own age to talk things over with is so great, because for the most part we're all facing the same types of challenges. And, the study that we thought we'd be lucky to have 5 or 6 people come to had TWELVE people at this past week. God thing? I think so!!
  7. School. I know, people say that's insane to be thankful for school. But I am so thankful for school right now. It keeps me busy for sure, and sometimes I complain about it, but there is SO much to learn!
  8. Church. I love my church family. I know the Christian body as a whole is indispensable, but there's something special about the way you grow with the Christians at your church. Serving along with them definitely gives you great opportunities together to grow and teach.
  9. "Little people" =). Just today I saw one of the little girls I babysit. She saw me and went "Hi Heenah!!" Her sweet little face made my morning. Kids are such a joy to be around.
  10. Surgery!! Honestly, I have never been more thankful for surgery. Because of the surgery I went through in May for my knee, I just ran a lap (yeah a whole lap.. I'll go further tomorrow!) without any pain or dislocation or unnatural popping noises. It was phenomenal. The fact that the medical world is advanced enough to MOVE my kneecap and eliminate pain is incredible!
  11. Music. I love music. Recently I've been listening to "Our God" by Chris Tomlin and "Reaching For You" by Lincoln Brewster almost endlessly. Something about rolling down the windows in my car, driving between the beautifully colored trees, with these songs blaring is just great.
So there you have it. A little trip down memory lane for me, and a short list of some of the things I'm thankful for. Looking it over again just makes me feel even more blessed. If you're ever feeling down, sit down and write out (or type up) a list of what you're thankful for and then thank God for it all, giving Him the praise and the glory that He is so worthy of!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment