Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pink.

I'm sure many of you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I didn't know that it was until October of 2007... Five months after Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. There's nothing like someone in your own family getting cancer to make you more aware of it.

I watched cancer attack my Mom's body.. I saw the tears, the pain, the medicines after and during treatment, the exhaustion, the frustration, the nights of no sleep because of pain, and the days of being stuck in bed because the chemo and radiation would make her so sick. But even more than all of that, I saw a woman who clung to her Rock and Redeemer through the whole thing.

It's true; cancer weakens you. Emotionally, physically, and mentally. I saw that. But overall, I saw it strengthen Mom spiritually. She had days where she had no choice but to cling to Jesus, because that was the only way she would get through the day, or even the hour. She took something that can kill people not only literally, but spiritually, and let it strengthen her.

I pray no one else I know ever has to go through what Mom did. But should you, or should someone you know - the best thing you can do is to love them. Don't just tell them you are praying for them and you "hope they get better." Pray with them. Show them you are there, fighting along with them. Be their support team. Love them. Love their family. Be a shoulder to cry on. A smiling face. You can even bring cookies (or meals... A lifesaver for whoever takes on the cooking!!), take the kids, be the hands and feet of Jesus to them and their family.

But most important out of all of those is prayer. It is powerful. It is encouraging. It is comforting. It offers peace. I can't count the number of times we prayed as a family, with friends in the waiting room, in church, around Mom's bed... It helped us as a family to grow stronger in Him. For me, the most encouraging thing people could do for me was to take the time to stop and pray with me... For me, for my siblings, for my Dad, and for Mom. I knew that with prayer warriors surrounding my family and I that God's will would be done. And He is faithful!


Scrabble during Chemo treatments.
(I won't say who won, but I will say Mom had to play while on Benadryl!)

Easter... with hair!!! 2008.

Breakwall jumping, August 2008
(She thought she was going to die!!!)

Graduation. My Mom is amazing.
Homeschooling can be challenging enough when you aren't fighting for your life...
She did it while she was, and succeeded.
(I think ;-))
June 2009.

Boston Trip.
Just us =)
(We got to see the Detroit Tigers cream the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park!!)
August 2009.


Trip to 'da U.P' to scope out Finlandia University
July, 2010.

Mom, I love you more! I know you say it isn't humanly possible, but "I'll love you for always, I'll like you forever, and as long as I'm living, my Mommy you'll be."
Thank you for everything you've done. From caring for me as a little 'butterball' to dealing with my early teenage years, to encouraging and supporting me now. I cannot describe how thankful I am for you and all you have done. You have set an amazing example of what it means to be a wife and a mother, and I know that someday I will be even more thankful for those examples than I am now.
You mean the world to me! I love you crazy much and I cannot wait to see how God continues to use your story to encourage those around you.
And I will always be your Hannie Girl =).

2 comments:

  1. Thank You Jesus for my daughter..keep her trusting You, no matter what. I pray she will love you with all her heart, all her soul, all her mind and all her strength..
    In the mighty name of Jesus,
    Hannie's mom

    P.S. the first pic of me in the "chair"--oh my! I look like an old woman!! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey,
    What a way with words - words that come from first-hand knowledge and from love. You are an amazing young woman and a blessing to all who know you.

    You honored your Mom and Dad & your heavenly Daddy with your life. I am so very proud of you and it is such a privilege to be a Grandma to you.

    I love you dearly,
    Gramma/Binga

    ReplyDelete